Friday, April 1, 2016

Week 8



Here's a little bit about my week:


This week was a little calmer compared to last week. I got further into the Day 7 footage, which has some very interesting trends that I will share in next week’s post once they are more apparent.

I also assisted in a surgery in the vivarium as a scribe for another researcher. Although I am not familiar with the specifics about the project, the surgery was very interesting to watch and I was able to take a small role in helping things run smoothly in the surgery suite which was very rewarding. 


Before I sign off for this week, I wanted to mention some other interesting things about our project:

The cages that have the enrichment devices in them are not yet scored for behavior because of a much more involved process needed to complete viewing their footage. As we want to measure a larger number of things, it helps to have more than one pair of eyes on the video at a time, so we have only gotten through a few hours so far, with the assistance of other interns in the lab. In the divided cages we are looking at the amounts of aggressive behaviors exhibited by the mice, just like the other cages, but also record the time each mouse spends in the new enrichment area as it compares to the amount of time they choose to spend with each other. This data will hopefully shed some light into the extent of mice social needs. 


Until next week!

Tasha

No comments:

Post a Comment